Plumbing is one of the careers that pay well, and the demand for plumbers is consistently high because homeowners and institutions will always need plumbers to fix their systems. Instead of the white color jobs that high school graduates run for, people have realized how plumbing careers are well paying. Parents are encouraging their children to take plumbing-related courses, which are also cheap to train within a short period. Plumbers take care of our toilets and bathtubs, dishwashers, water heaters, septic systems, and underground tanks that collect waste from our houses.
The plumbing field has regulations depending on the prevailing state laws. Some countries require plumbers to have a minimum of two to five years of experience before working in the public sector. Other states require a plumber to possess a driving license and plumbing license before handling critical plumbing work like fixing gas-carrying pipes. I will take you through some careers in plumbing.
1.Licensed plumbers/apprentices/plumbing technicians
Training as an apprentice or North Carolina licensed plumber will help you undertake various plumbing works in residential, industrial, and commercial premises. You will be able to handle such errands as fixing water heads, showerheads, and various water appliances. As an apprentice, you can diagnose drainage and related plumbing problems and advise clients accordingly. Such issues, like repairing water heaters, will never be an uphill task to you at all.
You may decide to take a unique role in plumbing by training as a pipe fitter. Training as a pipe fitter will help you pip and install and maintain pipes of industrial and power plants. As a pipe-fitter, you need to be conversant with systems that generate electricity and cooling and heating systems.
Another critical career in plumbing is a pipe layer course. As a pipe layer, you will be responsible for designing trenches where pipes are laid. The pipes that pass through the channels are made of different materials like cement, clay, and iron, and therefore they require specialized handling. It would be best if you bore I mind that the pipes can play various roles such as transferring gas, water, and sewerage systems.
Steamfitters training is almost similar to pipefitters training only that the steamfitter is more advanced. Steamfitters require specialized training to offer the highest level of assurance while they fix pipes that transport high-pressure gaseous material.
Like other careers, plumbing work requires project managers. If you want to become a project manager to supervise construction sites, a plumbing course will help you attain the necessary skills. You cannot correctly manage other employees’ work if you are not competent. A project manager has quite a good income compared to other employees, and it is an excellent course to take.
You can start from scratch, from a plumber to a company owner. You can rise above the ranks from a pipe layer to a project manager and finally owning a plumbing company. As a company owner, you need to hire technicians with different plumbing skills to do the job. You might also require to undertake some management training in addition to plumbing to manage your business effectively.
For you to succeed in a plumbing career, there are specific skills you need to have. You can acquire the following soft skills through experience, or you are born with them.
• Critical thinking-You must be a critical thinker. Take several courses of action when solving a problem and narrow them down to the best alternative.
• Listening skills- A good workman listens attentively to what the client is saying to understand their problem. You will not be able to handle plumbing issues that you did not comprehend from the client.
• Troubleshooting- After listening keenly to your client, you can decide where to start y
our plumbing repairs and maintenance.
• Eloquent- A good plumber should be able to express himself to the client in the best manner possible. You need to explain to the customer the amount of work required and the costs related to the job.
• Physical fitness- Except for project managers, the other plumbing technicians need to be physically fit to lift heavy equipment. Plumbers work indoors and outdoors, where the weather might be challenging. Plumbing technicians are prone to injuries as a result of falls and cuts while working on tight in tight spaces.
• Flexibility- Plumbing artisans are essential service providers. Drainage pipes and other water appliances can leak at any time, even at midnight, requiring a plumber’s services at any time. As a plumber, you may need to work for extended hours because some work cannot be left uncompleted.
In addition to the above-stated skills, you also need to develop a passion for the job. You cannot excel in a career that you are not passionate about. Seek advice from practitioners before commencing plumbing training. Trade unions and public organizations offer an apprenticeship for plumbing trainees. Most apprenticeships run for up to five years, which includes two thousand hours of classroom and job training. To qualify for an apprenticeship, you will require some qualifications, depending on the laws of different states. Let us now look at plumbing career duties and responsibilities in summary.
• Perform tests on vacuum and pressure gauges to determine problems and where they emanate.
• Clearing obstructions from sinks, toilets, bathtubs, and drains.
• Provide quotations to customers for repairs and the cost of materials.
• Provide advice to clients about their drainage systems and other plumbing.
• Troubleshoot plumbing issues and know how to address them effectively.
It is worth noting that gone are the days when artisan courses were for those who did not perform well in their primary and high school examinations. Nowadays, plumbing careers, among other artisan courses, are in high demand. The main advantage of plumbing is that with a few tools, you can become your boss. You do not need to look for employment upon graduation. Developing countries are in constant pursuit of technicians to support various sectors of the economy. Therefore, I encourage you to take a course in plumbing, which can help solve your drainage and plumbing issues at home.